Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Conflicting image interpretations

I love this image. I don't know the photographer or the site I found it, I stumbled upon it on Tumblr (an excellent blog site for images by the way) and I found it really interesting. On first glance it may look like a typical African hunting scene. But looking closer: the countryside is clearly British-esque and the skulls and furs are those of consumer products such as Bugs Bunny, Hello Kitty and the Coca Cola polar bear. I have been developing ideas that this is about consumer culture, and society becoming aware of its presence and killing it off? But maybe there's something else there too. The woman is still 'guarded' by African men, and I have been toying with the idea of how consumer culture is so relevant in Africa despite the lack of clean water and food? We have all seen the images of children without nutrition but wearing a Nike/Adidas etc sports top.